Lingua Franca consists of 2022 unique and randomly generated NFT artworks. A colorful visual research into the relationship between the physical and virtual space originated from human-computer interaction. The dynamic and vibrant generative art project is an artistic translation and reflection of the NFT space and the metaverse. A new culture with fresh possibilities, a positive and extraordinary community and a distinctive language.
Digital art and algorithm
The result of our first exploration of the NFT space is this special mapped, linguistic anthropological project which reflects our time. The digital art project is created by combining various NFT community terminology in an organic way by making use of flow fields based on a random fractal noise pattern. This beautiful algorithm controls the natural pathway of every artwork.
The key inputs and controls we've applied to the algorithm:
- Nearly 2500 possible paths + flexible turbulence controls;
- 65 unique NFT community words and expressions classified by emotions;
- 14 themes with well-designed rarity and metadata structure. Each theme has a custom-made setting;
- 11 pre-defined color palettes ensure uniqueness of themes and interesting artwork variations;
- 4 distinct fonts in 6 sizes (+ shrinkage or growth) and different color modes;
- Blended layers and solid or gradient background choices. The subtle transparency control creates depth and an organic look.
Lingua Franca are Non-Fungible Tokens (NFTs): unique, digital artworks managed by the ERC-721 Standard (Smart Contract) on the Ethereum blockchain. That means that the proof of ownership of the digital item is stored on a blockchain – in this case Ethereum blockchain -, a digital database (or ledger) that is publicly accessible and, thanks to modern cryptography, immutable (and in principle unhackable).
Each artwork consists of a PNG image file of 2000 by 2000 pixels with a resolution of 72 dpi. Because we want to encourage the creative use of Lingua Franca the CC BY-NC 4.0 license applies to all the artworks. In short: you’re free to adapt and share the artworks. However, you must give appropriate credit and aren’t allowed to use the material for commercial purposes.
Language and terminology
Lingua Franca means: a common language systematically used to communicate between people who don't share a native language. This refers to the distinctive and universal language of the NFT community: we incorporated and combined 65 unique NFT community words and expressions in all the 2022 Lingua Franca artworks and classified them by negative, positive and neutral emotions. During our research we made use of, among other things, an insightful guide to NFT terminology from @punk6529.
Some NFT terms we used: bearish, bullish, diamond hands, fren, gang gang, good morning, good night, original gangster, right click save as, ser, the fear of missing out, we all gonna make it.
The origin of Lingua Franca
Lingua Franca originated from a further exploration of the artwork I can't breathe. Both works are created by repeating (and combining) words and serve as reflection and interaction. I can't breathe especially holds up a mirror to the (Western) society, while Lingua Franca is a reflection on the NFT world (community) and the metaverse. The physical versus virtual space. Although they highlight a different theme - and I can't breathe is characterized by a certain heaviness and Lingua Franca especially by a light-footed character - they both reflect our time.
The 2022 Lingua Franca NFTs are classified into 14 themes:
- Classic Space (rarity 10%). Limited edition of 200. This theme is about the past and the beauty of simplicity. It differs from the other themes by using only 2 colors: black and white.
- Meatspace (rarity 10%). Limited edition of 200. Meatspace is about Real Life. According to the NFT community: the annoying reality where the laws of physics and biology apply. The color palette consists only of red colors. The artworks represent organs and blood vessels.
- Retro Space (rarity 10%). Limited edition of 200. This theme is about the human-computer interaction using a color palette like yellow (#FFFF00), blue (#0000FF) and magenta (#FF00FF) known from old school computer and arcade games. Yes, the good ol' times ;)
- Social Space (rarity 10%). Limited edition of 200. About the NFT community: a positive, respectful and extraordinary group of people. The color palette is based on Twitter and Discord colors, the platforms most used by the NFT community.
- Solar Space (rarity 10%). Limited edition of 200. This theme is about life, energy, positivity, optimism, friendliness, happiness, the sun and solar system. The color palette is warm, energetic and vibrant. With only positive NFT terminology like good morning!
- Future Space (rarity 10%). Limited edition of 200. Only neon colors are used in this futuristic theme. Come with me if you want to live!
- Metaspace (rarity 8%). Limited edition of 160. About the relationship between the physical and virtual space originated from human-computer interaction. This theme is inspired by the first Matrix movie and differs from the other themes by its straight curvature.
- Dreamspace (rarity 8%). Limited edition of 160. This theme uses a soft, pastel-like color palette, relatively high transparency and only positive NFT terminology. Do androids dream of electric sheep?
- StockXspace (rarity 8%). Limited edition of 160. This theme is about the market, stock exchange, sales. We generated around 50% bullish-artworks with only positive, green words and expressions and 50% bearish-artworks with negative, red terms.
- Urban Space (rarity 5%). Limited edition of 100. This Very Rare theme is about the vibrant and energetic city life, the mesmerizing and colorful graffiti culture and the dynamic of the streets. This theme generated only Large words and expressions and used as many as 10 predefined color palettes.
- Outer Space (rarity 5%). Limited edition of 100. This Very Rare theme is about the mesmerizing beauty of the stars, suns, moons and planets. About exploring the unknown and the vastness of the universe. Space the final frontier! To boldly go where no one has gone before! To infinity and Beyond! This theme is generated by using 10 predefined color palettes and eliminating letters resulting in only a few colorful letters per canvas. Like stars in space.
- Xtreme Space (rarity 5%). Limited edition of 100. This Very Rare theme is about extremity: out of proportion, greatness, the radical, the excessive, the extravagant, the superlative. An extraordinary, exceptional and overwhelming feeling. This theme generated only Extra Large words and expressions and used 10 predefined color palettes. The blown-up artworks are an extreme contrast with the Outer Space theme.
- Rainbow Space (rarity 1.5%). Limited edition of 32. This colorful and vibrant Super Rare theme is about the positive, social and extraordinary NFT community. About celebrating the beauty and happiness of diversity and the necessity of equality and variety. The color palette is generated with colorful Discord colors. A messaging platform heavily used by NFT communities.
- Gold Space (rarity 0.5%). Limited edition of 10.This Ultra Rare theme is about the famous NFT expression WAGMI: WE ALL GONNA MAKE IT! The golden ticket for the future of the NFT community, where everyone understands the NFTs and metaverse. The ultra limited artworks are generated with a golden color palette, an elegant bitfont and the NFT community term: WE ALL GONNA MAKE IT.
Purchasing Lingua Franca: minting an NFT
It is possible to mint and trade Lingua Franca artworks on the Ethereum blockchain since its launch on Monday December 20, 2021 at CET 12.00 pm (UTC 11.00 am). You can mint your own Lingua Franca NFT artworks at the metamosa website.
One Lingua Franca artwork costs 0.08 ETH (excluding gas fees).
We are currently investigating the possibilities of being able to pay (in a simple way) in euros.
We recommend you to install Metamask wallet, fund it with Ether (switch to the Ethereum Mainnet) and then click the "collect your wallet" button on the metamosa website to mint an original Lingua Franca NFT artwork.
You can also purchase our the Lingua Franca NFT artwork at our official OpenSea collection after they've been successfully minted. Like the first 10 randomly generated NFT artworks.
Virtual 3D NFT showroom: Metamosa Gallery
Visit our virtual 3D NFT showroom Metamosa Gallery and experience the first 10 randomly generated NFT artworks.
Lingua Franca was created by metamosa: a collaboration with coder Luc van Soest (Arto Kodo) and blockchain specialist SunnyMaas. Metamosa originated from a shared interest in art and technology. We love to create digital art, explore the exciting landscape of NFTs, the metaverse and are happy to share our knowledge.
The metamosa name is derived from metaverse and Mosa Trajectum, the Latin name for Maastricht. Our logo is inspired by the St Servatius Bridge (Sint Servaasbrug) in Maastricht, the oldest bridge in the Netherlands that is still standing. A bridge is about connecting. Like metamosa connects with and reflects the NFT space, the metaverse and the future.
Title: Lingua Franca
Process: October to December 2021.
Edition: Limited edition of 2022. The limited edition from each of the fourteen themes varies between 10 and 200.
Digital: Each digital and unique artwork consists of a PNG image file managed by the ERC-721 Standard (Smart Contract) on the Ethereum blockchain: a Non-Fungible Token (NFT).
Dimensions: 2000 by 2000 pixels with a resolution of 72 dpi.
Collaboration: Lingua Franca is a creation by metamosa, a collaboration with coder Luc van Soest (Arto Kodo) and blockchain specialist SunnyMaas.
© Jonathan Wanders